Frequently Asked Questions
How will you help my child academically?
- Personalized instruction. Whether your child is struggling in one particular area, trying to get up to speed after a move, or wanting to supplement their current courses with more challenging materials, our instructors can create a program that is geared for your student’s individual needs.
- Homework support. There are times when a student’s homework becomes too challenging. Our instructors can provide the answers your child needs, help to get the work done, and offer the tools for your child to work independently.
- Increased confidence. This is an important factor for students in and out of the classroom. Tutoring can help a child feel more confident with their school work, which can boost self-esteem and help motivate them.
- Increased comfort and participation levels. Many students do not speak up in class, and participation counts. Working with supportive teachers and asking and answering questions aloud will help them gain the comfort and confidence in a group setting.
- Fewer interruptions. A classroom environment can have lots of distractions which can affect a student’s comprehension, performance, and, ultimately, their self-esteem. This also applies to students who struggle with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and ADD with Hyperactivity (ADHD). With our teachers, students can focus on tasks with minimal distractions and fewer interruptions.
What grade level do you tutor?
We most frequently tutor college, high school and middle school students but are capable of tutoring students anywhere along their academic journey.
What types of students do you tutor?
We provide tutoring for a diverse range of learning levels:
- Advanced students who want to get ahead and maximize their growth.
- Students between letter grades who want to push themselves forward.
- Students who need a private teacher to fill in educational gaps for a class.
- Students who struggle with specific subjects and need one-on-one teaching to ensure they confidently grasp the material.
What subjects do you tutor?
We tutor all school subjects including Math, Science, English, Humanities, and Language. For a more detailed breakdown visit the Academic Tutoring page
What qualifications do your tutors have?
Our teachers are highly trained, experienced experts in their fields, having earned Bachelors, Masters, and/or PhD degrees. They have scored in the top 1% of the standardized tests they teach and are highly experienced with the curricula. They are able to help students not only master the subject material but also how to study independently.
Where is the tutoring conducted?
All tutoring is provided online or at our office location in Sorrento Valley. We do not provide at-home tutoring.
How do you match students and tutors?
We consider the student's academic needs, learning style, and personality traits to match them with a suitable tutor. We do our best to match your student with a tutor who we believe will be the perfect fit, and we check-in with students and tutors after the first session and will re-match students with a new tutor if necessary.
How often should my child attend tutoring?
This depends on the student's needs. We offer a range of options, from ad-hoc sessions to regular weekly sessions over the course of a semester.
How do you measure progress?
We measure progress through regular quizzes and continuous feedback from our tutors. These assessments help us track the student's development, identify areas of improvement, and tailor the tutoring approach accordingly.
How often will I receive updates?
Parents will receive updates after every tutoring session. Our tutors provide detailed insights into the student's performance, discussing strengths, areas for improvement, and the progress made. This open communication ensures that parents are well-informed about their child's academic journey with us.
What days and times do tutors work?
We meet with students 7 days a week (Monday-Sunday). Weekdays, we are available between 9am-9pm. Weekends, we are available between 9am-5pm. We understand that students have schedules with filled extracurricular activities. As a result, we offer flexible times in order to accommodate each student’s schedule.
Does Pivot Tutors work with students who have learning challenges or ADHD?
Yes, we work with every kind of student and customize our lessons to adapt to a variety of learning styles or challenges. We also administer practice ACT and SAT tests for students with extended time or special testing.
Do you offer trial sessions?
While we don't offer trial sessions, we do prioritize effective tutoring strategies from the very first session. Our experienced tutors quickly assess your child's academic needs, learning style, and any challenges they may be facing. By diving right into the tutoring process, we ensure that every session is focused on your child's progress and helps them achieve their academic goals efficiently. Our goal is to maximize the time spent learning and making a meaningful impact from day one.
Do you offer Diagnostic ACT or SAT tests?
We do! To determine which test is the right match for your child, or if you are starting an ACT or SAT Test Prep program, we provide diagnostic tests. Diagnostic ACT and SAT tests are 3 hours 15 minutes long and are administered almost every Sunday morning at the Pivot Tutors office.
How do I sign up for Academic Tutoring or Test Prep Tutoring?
Contact us at 858-531-0508 or email@example.com. We will call or email you back within 24 hours to answer any questions you may have and get your child scheduled with an expert tutor to help them master their course material.
How can I cancel or reschedule a session?
If a student needs to cancel for any reason (including illness, crisis, or emergency) or reschedule a tutoring session, we require a minimum of 24 hours advance notice, one full business day, otherwise the session will be forfeit. For Sunday and Monday sessions, we must be notified by Friday at 4 pm, as our administrative offices are closed Saturdays and Sundays. Messages left over the weekend for rescheduling or canceling a Sunday or Monday appointment are not considered sufficient notice of one business day. While this policy is strict, it reflects the realities of working with teenage students. For our complete cancellation policy, please refer to your registration paperwork.
To cancel or reschedule, you may call or text us at (858) 531-0508, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you accept credit card payments?
Yes, we accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
What are your rates?
We don't post rates online because we tailor our tutoring to each student's unique needs. This ensures you only pay for what's truly needed and we can provide an optimal learning experience. Please get in touch to discuss a customized tutoring plan and learn about our competitive pricing.